Born in 1974, Matthew J Cutter was raised by his parents in a small town in New Hampshire. He was introduced to art at an early age and had the privilege of learning the basics of painting from his Grandmother, Helen Cutter. It is this upbringing of being surrounded by nature and learning at a young age to love and appreciate the arts that led Matthew to his path as an artist.
For many years now, Cutter has been on the road that so many before him have traveled: the search for his artistic voice. Over time, Matthewâ€™s work has evolved and changed in style and influence; but it may just be that he has found his calling from the American Tonalist movement that had its heyday in the late 1800s to the early 1900s. To showcase this point, look to Cutterâ€™s one-man exhibition in December 2012 at the Brilliance In Color Gallery. The paintings were more mood-based and introspective than previous shows. He has become focused on capturing mood and leaving the viewer with an emotional experience and, in doing so, Cutter has emerged as a poetic painter. To be sure, this is not the end all be all of style evolution for Cutter; however, at this moment it is evident he has reached a new level of achievement.
Cutter resides in St. Augustine, FL with his family and travels the country in search of new subject material as his time allows.
Shows and Exhibitions
- Brilliance in Color, St. Augustine, December 2012
- Brilliance in Color, St. Augustine, December 2011
- Brilliance in Color, St. Augustine, December 2010
- Salmagundi Club Annual and Non-Member Painting & Sculpture Exhibition, July 2010
- Galeria Del Mar, St. Augustine, August 2009 (Two-man show with Peter Pettegrew)
- Galeria Del Mar, St. Augustine, August 2008
- Galeria Del Mar, St. Augustine, July 2007
- Brilliance in Color, St. Augustine, February 2006
- Second Prize - BoldBrush Painting Competition, July 2013
- Second Prize - International Artist Challenge No. 63: Seascapes, Rivers & Lakes, June/July 2011
- The President's Award - SCNY Annual and Non-Member Painting & Sculpture Exhibition, July 2010
- Atlanta Federal Reserve Bank, Jacksonville, FL Branch
- Tanner & Bishop Law, Jacksonville, FL
- Romel de la Torre, October 2009
- Scott L. Christensen, May 2009
- Jeremy Lipking, February 2009
- Daniel F. Gerhartz, November 2008
- Morgan Samuel Price, October 2006, 2001